Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- flax “egg” – 1 tbsp flax seed, 2 tbsp water
- 400g firm tofu
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- sea salt and pepper
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a small frying pan then soften the chopped onion for around 10 minutes, until it is translucent.
- Meanwhile, make the flax “egg” by mixing 1 tbsp flax seed and 2 tbsp water in a large mixing bowl then leave in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Press all the water out of the tofu – easiest with a tofu press, but I don’t have one and just use my hands to press it.
- Take the flax out of the fridge and add to the bowl the tofu, paprika, chilli powder, oregano, soy sauce, salt and pepper, flour and another 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Mix all the ingredients together with a fork until you can form patties out of the mixture. It should make 4 big patties which you can then pop in the fridge, either all day or at least 30 minutes.
- When ready, cook the tofu burgers on a greased baking tray in the oven at 200°C for 30-40 minutes.