Roast Butternut Squash and Veg Chilli
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1 hour 20 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, cubed with skin on
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 aubergine, cubed
- 1 courgette, cubed
- handful coriander stalks, finely chopped
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 200g passata
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Cut the squash in half length-ways then remove the seeds and flesh (you could use this recipe for toasted squash seeds). If you happen to have a grapefruit knife then use this to remove flesh. Most versatile kitchen tool ever!
- Cube the squash then place in a large roasting tray with the olive oil, paprika, chilli powder and s+p. Roast for around 45 minutes, making sure the skin is soft enough.
- Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a large pot on the hob. Add the chopped onion and soften until translucent for 10 minutes. Then add the garlic and chilli.
- After a couple of minutes add the dry spices, giving everything a good stir.
- Add the cubed aubergine, courgette and coriander stalks (and any other veg you are using).
- After 5 minutes, add the tomatoes and passata. Stir again then leave to very gently simmer with the lid on for around 30 minutes.
- When the roasted squash is ready, you can either have it as a side or add it to the chilli and serve with rice, depending on how many people are eating. Choose your favourite toppings: vegan cheese, chopped coriander, yogurt, cashew creamy sauce or crushed tortilla chips.